Forms of hosting services
A hosting service includes keeping and/or sharing certain content on a web server hosted by a website hosting company. There are various types of hosting services used for different goals, so let's have a glance at them. Thus, you can conclude what you want, depending on whether you'd like to own a site, e-mails, or to share files with friends and associates.
- File hosting: a service furnished by certain firms, which lets you share huge files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived files, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole aim is to share files, since it does not offer web site uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to survey a register of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to open .html or .php web files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file storage packages are often supported by showing adverts by the download links, while a timer compels you to await a specific stretch of time to see them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you possess a paid file hosting package, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no restriction with regard to the download speed or the file size.
At the moment, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting retailers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more stylish "cloud hosting". This is a totally fallacious explanation of the literal denotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting system would allocate the load between individual packs of web servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending various website hosting services (electronic mail, disk space, statistics, DNS, databases, web space hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is just a variety of a storage space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; specific vendors provide a hosting solution for images only. This hosting type is suitable if you want to share a great amount of images with friends or colleagues since the solution is mostly free of charge. You will receive a random link for each image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be utilized for websites.
- Email hosting: a solution devoted to taking care of your e-mail aliases. Some firms offer web page hosting services for web pages, but do not provide an e-mail service. If you would like to launch an e-mail address with your domain name but do not wish to own a website, then the e-mail hosting service is what you want. You can open e-mail accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a given video clip, or you can embed the video file in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of availing of this approach instead of uploading the video in a web hosting account is that the video file generates a certain amount of central processing unit load, so with a handful of video files and a few hundred viewers, you may have a problem with your web hosting resources. Embedding the video file will enable you to possess as many videos as you wish without hassling about system quotas.
- Website hosting: this is the solution that you need if you wish to run a web site. To some extent, it embodies all of the aforementioned hosting sorts since, along with your web pages, you can also host images and files, you can keep databases and email mailbox accounts, upload video files, and so on. At boxorandyos hosting, for instance, you can have a glance at web hosting and dedicated hosting solutions that enable you to get all of the aforesaid solutions in a single place. There may be limits depending on the sort of hosting solution that you've picked - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web hosting package may be better or worse in comparison with the common email/file/video/image hosting accounts that are designed for specific web content only.